02 January, 2006

Peace In Pain and Suffering

God, He has allowed~
this cross that I am to bear,
it's filled with pain and suffering~
from my feet to the top of my hair.
It is not a punishment~
for something I've done wrong,
It is to shine a light on God's holiness~
and fill me with a song.
I can sing when it makes no sense~
with dark skies and rocky seas,
when downcast or emotional~
I know God is holding me.
God may not ease my burden~
but He will take away my fears,
and I will grow in my dependence~
as He comforts me in my tears.
God sits with me through the nights~
and greets me at the dawn,
He kisses that very first tear~
so it is in Him I will rely upon.
Where else could I find peace~
in such a supernatural way?
I would not trade my suffering~
for any ordinary day.
This does not mean I don't get tired~
and some days I've had my fill,
it means I know that quiet place~
to enter in and be still.
For indeed God's grace is sufficient~
no matter how heavy I'm tried,
for I'm learning to run straight to "Papa"~
for His arms are open wide.
"Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in Him,
for He shields him all day long,
and the one the Lord loves rests between His shoulders
Deuteronomy 33:12
By Donna McGinnis
2004

2 comments:

kc bob said...

Thanks for the reminder that to pick up our cross often involves pain ... but not a senseless pain but a pain that leads us to Jesus.

Kevin Knox said...

I will pass this on to Donna. She is a friend of a friend, and would love to hear that she is encouraging others.