14 August, 2007

The Life in the Wine

Again, I am drawn to leapfrog the obvious. I have to return to the blood of the new covenant. Before that subject can really be seen through, we must talk about blood itself.

Le 17:11
For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.


There is only one reason we bleed.

God gave us blood.

All of life runs in our veins. And the lamb and the bull offered to God as atonement for our evil hearts let their blood instead of ours. But their blood could do nothing for us. It was merely a focus for our faith before Christ revealed the truth. His Blood changed everything.

The Life that was poured out of the Son of God made all His children clean.

Whoops. It's still too early to bring out the new covenant. Instead, focus on the blood itself.

"The cup we drink..."

We take into our bodies the very life of the Lord Jesus. All the pagan rituals of blood drinking pale and fail before this truth of Christ's Life poured out for us, on us, and even into us. The Life is in the Blood, and in the Lord's Supper we join in the communion of His Life.

It is one Blood that runs in all our veins.

It's been years now since I took communion with wine, but I'll always wish for it. The burn of the alcohol drives home the nature of what I'm doing. I'm drinking the Life of a Living Lord. That should burn a little bit.


1) We declare His death until He comes
2) We embrace the breaking of His body for us.
3) We declare our willingness to join Him in suffering.
4) We declare our oneness with every one who's ever known Him.
5) We declare His pleasure with us.
6) We declare the union of our lives with His.

1 comment:

kc bob said...

We declare that He is Lord.

You know, you got me hankering for one of my favorite wines - chianti ... maybe I'll remember you CP the next time I have a glass :)

Your Older Brother