03 February, 2008

Meming

I'm so unobservant.

I was tagged by Suzanne 4 days ago, so to remind everyone she's out there doing quality thinking, I'll play along. :-)

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more.
(No cheating!) Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.

The nearest book is still, "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. I decided after enjoying "No Country For Old Men" so much (did anyone see this movie yet? Any thoughts? Some bad thoughts are expected.) to pick up some other of his books and see what I thought.

The Road is an interesting counterpoint to NCfOM. Both books are equally bleak, dark, terrifying, and ugly. But where NCfOM told us that evil is winning the battle for the world, and that we should give up the fight, The Road tells us that love conquers everything, everything. If NCfOM was the ultimate "feel bad" movie, The Road is an incredible "feel sad" book. When you're done, you want to know whether you could bear such a weight, believe so unwaveringly, endure such worry, and hope through such a night. Again, though, it's not a happy book and many people would not enjoy it at all.

The selected three sentences from page 123 are indicative of the whole book:

The water was so clear. He held it to the light. A single bit of sediment coiling in the jar on some slow hydraulic axis.

(I thought I would post part 5 of There and Back Again tonight, but my second edit was too extensive. It needs another look. Maybe tomorrow.)

2 comments:

kc bob said...

I almost tagged you on this one.. instead I tagged a few folks that probably won't see my tag.. much less respond.. all the better.. this madness must be stopped :)

Kevin Knox said...

I did my part by forgetting the last instruction. :-)