10 July, 2006

Hello: I'm back

Howdy all, and thank you for the kind words. They mean a lot.

The camping went well. Nothing miraculous happened, but my son and I busted through the brush for 4 days, and wore ourselves out quite thoroughly. The first two days it rained incessantly, which was just perfect. I was hoping for a little struggle to keep the time interesting, and that just suited the bill. Rain or no rain, we built a fire every morning and evening and ate hot food, so it was good.

We spent 3 days moving as far and as fast as possible without setting foot on anything man-made. For example, on day 2, I picked a point 2.5 miles away as the crow flies, and we raced each other there. He was unhappy that I had chosen a point so close, "That's barely an hour! Pick something worthy of our time."

He got there in just over 2 hours, and me in just over 2.5.

To get there we each navigated 10 elevation changes of more than 100 feet up and down (picture 10 flights of stairs, only substitute mud slopes so steep that moving forward without hands and feet is impossible), a huge, thorny raspberry patch (with him in shorts - it should have given me more of an advantage, but pain is not much of a deterrent to him), and a horse pasture (again, he ran through it while I worked my way around it.) I gradually became quite adapt at using a found walking stick as my third leg, as it was the only way to get dependable traction more often than I can count.

The trip back was done together, and at a leisurely pace. (At least he had the common decency to feel fatigue!) I will tell you this, though, 2.5 miles worth of open woods during a steady rain was more than enough to cause both of us to lose all sense of direction. When we pointed "home", we were wrong by 90 degrees. The GPS units made getting home a real breeze.

---

So, I was home in time to catch about 1 hour of Wimbledon. It was nice, though, to see it end up right. Mauresmo has struggled so much, and to hear that she successfully overcame Henin-Hardenne was heart-warming. You may recall that Henin wimped out the last time they played, claiming a stomach ache. She played through this time, and took her lumps fair and square. Good. Mauresmo silenced a lot of us on Saturday, and gave all us "chokers" a reason to hope.

Federer needed to beat Nadal if theirs was going to be a "rivalry." That he did, and that he did so convincingly was a great relief. Anyone with any sense is betting on them in the final of the US Open in August. My money would be on Federer again. Once he has someone figured out, he seems to be able to keep up the pressure. Just ask Nalbandian - the last pro to "own" Federer.

I picked Italy to win the World Cup, too, so it was a good weekend for me in that vein. One word about Zidane ... that dude uses his head to strike balls every day - his shot at Materazzi should practically be considered assault with a deadly weapon. Wow. What a hit!

---

Future blogging.

There will be some, but I don't know how much. I go out to California in a week, and am gone for almost 2. So, I offer no predictions on the number of posts between now and August. Thanks for checking in on me while I was gone, though! I will try to get out to everyone's sites shortly.

14 comments:

Milly said...

I love camping in the rain. I’m a bit more easygoing about it. Fire, a tent, a nice walk, talking at night. . . .I’m good. No need for speed.

Sorry to hear you’ll be away. Have a good time. I love California.
Praying for a good trip for you.

DougALug said...

Welcome back!


Sounds like some nice bonding moments.

God Bless
-D

Andreia Huff said...

Sounds like you guys had good guy fun! I keep wondering when the fireworks that you alluded to in an earlier posts were gonna happen...do you remember?

Anonymous said...

Welcome Back, Codepoke!!! Sure missed ya'.

I must say that I am more of a dry-weather camper and prefer to sweat from humidity than to be rained on. But that's just me.

"At least he had the common decency to feel fatigue!"

That got a serious "guffaw" outta me!

It also sounds like if you chose to go through the horse pasture, you might have stood a shot at beating him, no?

I'm glad it was such a bonding time. God bless you and your efforts to build great memories and greater relationships with your children.

kc bob said...

Glad to have you back but also glad to see you taking some time off ... physician heal thyself you may say to me ... I probably need to take a break sometime :)

I watched the Wimbledon finals and agree with your assessments about men & women matches ... but i'm not too sure about Nadal in the US Open finals ... still hoping ... err wishing ... oh well ... for an American ... anybody seen Roddick lately ... yeah it will probably be Nadal ... can't blame a guy for hallucinating :)

Appreciate your heart Kevin ... wave as you fly over KC on your way to California.

Kevin Knox said...

Milly,

No need for speed.

Ah - I still have a little bit of that 16 year old boy in me. :-) Never, for one second, was I not trying to kick that little bugger's butt. Last night, though, he took off for a little jog. 90 minutes later, he got home. Hard to compete with that. ;-)

Kevin Knox said...

Andreia,

do you remember?

Oh yes, I remember. Honestly, I am having a hard time with the ol' motivation levels. I'm in a wierd place. I know that I am a little depressed, but I cannot measure how seriously. I also am juggling the idea of changing my writing style. I also am considering a couple of posts about FHC in general.

Add all that to the simple fact that I cannot answer the key question on the whole egalitarian debate.

When I get back from CA, my son will probably have moved out and be living with his mother. I don't know what I will do leading up to and following after all these events. I might burst into sudden activity, or I might try to change everything up somehow. I don't know.

But rest assured that I have not forgotten. Your encouragement is appreciated, and moves me in the right direction. :-)

Kevin Knox said...

It also sounds like if you chose to go through the horse pasture, you might have stood a shot at beating him, no?

I think that if I change 3 decisions, that I lose to him by minutes instead of by a half-hour. But let's get real. He runs hard for a hobby. He doesn't jog - he runs.

No idea where he gets his drive.

Kevin Knox said...

KB,

Thanks for the kind words and appreciation. It means a lot.

Roddick

Nah. The moment I saw Roddick, I didn't like his game. He's got weapons (or he had them before his mind cracked this year), but he has gaping weaknesses. No service return, just enough backhand to stay in the game, no net game even though he is built for it, and a game built on raw power. Raw power always fades. He has nothing to fall back on. I believe he has peaked.

Keep your eyes on James Blake. Even at his advanced age (fun to write that :-) he is improving quickly, and he is a very balanced player. He's our hope this year. Blake took Nadal out once this year, and he almost forced a set off Federer before Federer switched to plan B.

Thanks for the excuse to write that. :-)

I'll never fly across Kansas without waving again, I'm sure. :-)

Milly said...

Codepoke,
Funny, I was reading this while you were commenting.

Thinking of ya bro.

Andreia Huff said...

Kevin
I understand those times when all is a funk. I have been there brother! You are in the midst of some big transitions with kiddos and as the management consultants say, all change is loss.

I cannot answer the key question on the whole egalitarian debate

One of the reasons that I can not write on the subjects that you do so well is because I fear being wrong. The sheer importance of it hinders my creativity.

A friend from a writing group sent me the following quote.
To live a creative life, we must loose our fear of being wrong by Joseph Chilton Pearce, whoever that is!

I know you are a lover of Rational Thinking but consider the fact that while these matters are important, you are still working in a medium of creativity where the inner critic reigns and in my humble opinion clouds the voice of the Eternal. (sorry if that sounds too new-agey for ya'll.)

I will pray that you find utter joy today in something, any small thing.

By the way, I read Cinderella to my 5 year old daughter and she loved it. I stretched it out and read a part each night. She was so eager for the readings!

Weekend Fisher said...

Glad you're back. I was wondering ...

Take care & God bless

Kevin Knox said...

Andreia,

One of the reasons that I can not write on the subjects that you do so well is because I fear being wrong. The sheer importance of it hinders my creativity.

Ha! You and me both!

Some lessons I have recently picked up on the tennis court may help me here with the writing. I have a post 3/4 written, but things are really eating away at my time these days. I WILL get it up soon. Probably Monday. ;-P

a medium of creativity where the inner critic reigns and in my humble opinion clouds the voice of the Eternal. (sorry if that sounds too new-agey for ya'll.)

You are right that new-age freaks me out, but this is just truth. It's not even the inner critic. It's the in-my-head-voices of those who disagree with me. I want to answer them before they speak, and with each little pre-answer my writing gets more boring, and less meaningful. I take a real joy in these things of the Lord, but if I write from a position of fear that joy never makes it onto the paper.

I'm growing. Thank you for the encouragement and prayers!

Kevin Knox said...

WF,

I was wondering

I think maybe I won't quit quite yet. If I do, I won't do so without saying goodbye.